Friday, March 29, 2002

What the heck is up with most California supermarkets/liquor stores/ gas stations? They won't take a U.S. Passport as a valid form of ID?!?! WTF? Tonight I stopped by Ralph's to pick up a sixer on my way home from work. The lady says, "I'm sorry, do you have a California ID? I can't accept a passport". When did it become easier to fake a passport than a California ID? You can't fly from Japan and get back into the country with a California ID. And although I'm all for California seceeding from the Union, it hasn't happened yet, and the last time I checked, to get a job in the US you have to have two forms of ID if you use a state issued ID, only one if you have a passport. It is proof not only of my age, but my citizenship, my right to be here in this country. They can't deport me, I'm from here!
Behind me in line was a California Highway Patrolman and he stepped up to the counter and asked the lady if there was a problem. She kinda did a double take, and looked at my passport really hard. He then said, "As far as I know, the only thing a passport can't prove is that this person is eligible to drive in the state of California. It does show her age, it shows her picture, and as far as I can tell, that's her, and also as far as I can tell that is a valid and legal form of identification in the United States of America. Says here, she's 22. And its valid until 2008. If you don't want to sell to her, I'll buy it for her."
Ok, now I know this might sound somewhat out of character for a CHP officer, but this dude was certainly the coolest cop there ever was. He didn't even bother to ask why I didn't have a DL. He offered to buy my beer for me. The chick ended up selling it to me, but with much chagrin. Now I'm sitting down to watch a movie from the UK, drinking my hard earned Gordon Biersch. Fake a passport? Yeah right. I think its an imprisonable offense. Especially now after the 9/11 stuff.
States rights forever! Until then, I'm proud to be a passport carrying American.
Do you have a passport?

Download of the night - "Something About You" - Level 42 (I'd almost forgotten about this one. used to be on all my mix tapes)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home