Tuesday, December 14, 2004

I can write a novel. I know I can. If I just put together all the posts I've made on this blogger, I have enough fodder for at least a New York Times Bestseller. Right? Right?

Yeah, I'm not kidding myself.

What is the difference between dreams and goals?
The word dream has 15 different definitions in a dictionary. The one I relate to this post the most is: 12. to imagine as possible; fancy; conceive.
The word goal has 6 definitions in a dictionary. The one that I will relate to this post the most is: 1. the result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim; end.

It is my dream to make more money than my parents did. It is my goal to have as fulfilling of a life as they had. Can I have one without the other? Of course.

I admire those who can forego their dreams and their goals to live day to day. I cannot separate my dreams from my reality. If it weren't for goals, I could never turn my dreams into reality.

It might be that ten years from now, an asteriod will hit Earth and change life as we know it. Am I going to plan for that day, or live for today with my dreams?

If you asked me to move to where you are, or where you're going to be, I would. Because my dreams are so inconsequential to my goals. If I can direct effort towards a goal that will also fulfill my dreams, I'm ready.
Maybe you're not ready to truly realize your dreams. But at least think of them. If not for me, then for you. Do you want to go to sleep in New York and wake up in London? Or do you just want someone to plan a trip to Thailand with and someone who will do your laundry? What do you want out of life? I know what I want. It took time for me to figure out. Maybe you still need that time.
But whatever, think of the difference between dreams and goals. We're not immortal you know, and we're not invincible.
Life doesn't stop for puny mortals like us. We can only enjoy the time we've been blessed with. So figure out what's most important to you, and stop thinking that you have the time to waste to wait for it.
Cause just like Ferris Bueller said, "Life's too short to let it pass you by. Sometimes you have to stop and smell the roses."

John Hughes is not only a very rich filmmaker, he's also a philisophical scribe for our time.

2 Comments:

At December 14, 2004 at 2:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

john hughes may be a what-you-said, but i still maintain that movie is still not about Cameron and his coming-of-age, i don't care what he said in that interview...

 
At December 15, 2004 at 2:47 AM , Blogger Christina said...

Good thing that wasn't what I was alluding to. But I I guess I don't care to argue about it, cause I don't really care too much what he said in an interview anymore. Happy Holidays!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home